Let’s be honest. We know it’s not good to sleep in makeup—but sometimes it does happen.
Could it be your current cleansing method involves multiple steps or products? When it’s 2 a.m., who wants a process? Make it easy on yourself; use what I use when preparing an individual for studio makeup, a photo shoot, wedding, or Cityline taping: a perfectly performing cleansing wipe.
Makeup removal wipes evolved from the handy baby bum wipe, which I remember CBC and City TV talent using when they finished their on-camera shifts. A big tub of wipes sat in the makeup room for male reporters, especially, to grab, wipe, and go. God forbid they show up at a restaurant wearing more makeup than their date. Thankfully, in the early 90s, MAC refined the bottom wipe and came out with a more face-friendly version. Efficient and convenient, theirs became the fashion industry standard. Since then, virtually every other cosmetic line has followed suit--some much better than others.
The scent, size, texture, moisture level, effectiveness, packaging, and price of cleansing wipes vary--and I have tried them all. Many brands promise over-the-top results for such a simple, throw-away beauty buddy. I have little faith in the concept of this little cloth addressing concerns like acne and anti-aging…. All I ask of the handy humble wipe is that it do its job.
A good-quality pre-moistened makeup removing cleansing wipe should be thick enough to handle without tearing and wet enough to work without dripping. It should completely dissolve--and remove--all trace of face and eye makeup, oil, and dirt, completely lifting it away and locking it into the cloth. The moisture should evaporate, leaving no residue on the skin. And it shouldn’t cost a lot.
My favourite wipes are so effective they can take the place of your traditional eye makeup remover and cotton ball routine. If you need one to do extra duty (especially on waterproof eye and lip makeup), pour a little waterproof eye makeup remover onto a wipe to make a super-duper makeup eraser.
A delicate, but important point is that, in a pinch, most facial cleansing wipes can be used on other parts of the body when bathing facilities are not available. Do not flush wipes down toilets, though, but dispose in the garbage receptacle.
- *Life 3 in 1 Cleansing Cloths @ Shoppers Drug Mart: 56 - 8.25” X 5.5” cloths available in double packs and refillable convenient tubs. $8.99 - $14.99. Travel Pack 15 sheets, $3.29 / 16¢ per cloth.
- *Exact Facial Cleansing Cloths @ Loblaw’s: 56 - 7.5 X 5.25” cloths available in double packs and refillable tubs. $7.99 / 14¢ per cloth.
- *Kirkland Signature 150 Daily Facial Towelettes @ Costco: Box Set: 4 – 30 sheet packs with great flip top closure plus 2 – 15 sheet travel packs. Total of 150 towelettes. $11.99 Winner of Most Wipes for your dollar AND Best Buy @ 8¢ per towelette.
- *MAC Wipes: Bulk Artist Pack 100 – 8.5 X 5.5” wipes, $34.50. Regular/Personal Pack 45 sheets, $24. Sized To Go: 30 wipes, $12. Winner of Largest Size Wipe.
- Olay Fresh Effects Everything Off Deluxe Makeup Remover Wet Cloths @ Shoppers Drug Mart & Loblaw’s: 25 - 7.5 X 6.25” Cloths, $8.43 / 33¢ per cloth.
Travel Tip: Decrease the weight of your “beauty bag” by packing a suitable supply of wipes in a zip-lock sandwich baggie.
WATCH THIS VIDEO for more ways to use makeup Wipes
Price Disclaimer: Posted prices provided by supplier, store, or vendor and are subject to change without notice. Many are often and regularly on sale, especially Life @ Shoppers Drug Mart.