At-home facials come in many versions. Here’s mine, a classic I’ve tweaked and updated to include some of the newest products available. Take the time to do this with care and without disturbance.
- Head band
- Cotton pads
- Face Cloth
- Eye Makeup Remover
- Facial Cleanser
- Face cream
- Eye Cream (optional)
- Lip Balm
- Hand Cream
- Get comfortable. Comfy cozies, pyjamas, nothing at all!
- Remove makeup, clean skin.
- Apply face cleanser generously and lay on a facecloth that has been moistened with warm water. This steam softens the skin and begins the process.
- Remove the facecloth after 5 minutes.
- Massage your face and neck with your fingertips and knuckles. Be the most gentle around the eyes. Rinse off cleanser.
- Manual Exfoliation Process: Apply a teaspoon of scrub and mix into palms of hands. Pat and spread over face and neck. Avoid the eye area. Gently and very lightly use fingertips to skim and buff for 2 minutes. No scrubbing or rubbing. Rinse thoroughly away in the shower. Lightly pat away excess water with a towel but leave the skin moist. Jump to step 8.
- Chemical Exfoliation Approach: Apply appropriate Paula’s Choice leave-on Liquid Exfoliator after step 9.
- Mask – Use a creamy moisturizing mask if your skin is dry and a clay-based mask if your skin is oily. You can use both if you have combination skin. Leave mask on as long as directed. Most moisturizing masks don’t need to be rinsed off. The remainder can be massaged into the skin. Clay-based masks must be removed completely because of their drying properties.
- Toner - Apply with cotton pads to calm and treat the skin. This completes the cleansing process and prepares skin for the following steps:
- Select a serum to address your skin’s specific needs or concerns. Massage in 3 – 6 drops. Apply more if you feel you’ve run out or have drier skin.
- Lock in the serum with a moisturizing gel, lotion, or cream. If you’re heading outdoors, make sure it contains an SPF 30.
- Eye Cream (optional) take up eye cream to the size of a pea with ring finger. Pat and warm with other ring finger and tap along the orbital bone, all around the eye and into the temples.
- Apply lip balm.
- Enjoy the glow and keep makeup light!